First quick impression
This gift contained a paper pack and a stamp. The papers came in two really pretty designs and also a couple of more basic patterns. Large spots on a pink background for one, and pastel stripes on the other. The stamp is really quite sweet although fairly small. The paper pack is 8″ x 8″ but the stamp size lends itself more to 6″ x 6″ cards I think. However, I am sure I can use the papers for larger designs that don’t need the stamp. I do like the look of this set but let’s see what I can come up with to make with it. I am going to deliberately not use the inspirations in the cards because it can be all too easy to copy can’t it?
Testing the Stamp
Any regular readers will know that I always test my stamps with my Tim Holtz Stamping Platform and since the Fairy Dust project I have decided to test all magazine stamp gifts with Archival Ink. They are made from a different material to some of my bought brands like Hunkydory and Dreamees and this material does not stamp well with dye based inks, to begin with, in the same way, my bought stamps do. I also use a brayer over the stamping platform to get a uniform press down that I cannot always rely on my hands to do thanks to the Fibro and Arthritis.This stamp performed well I got a clean finish with just one inking so no complaints here!
Creating a CardSo here is what I came up with.
As mentioned above I felt the stamp lent itself to a 6″ x 6″ card so this is the size I went with. I cut the background paper to just leave a narrow white border around the edge – for once I decided not to mat and layer with mirror board as I wanted a softer look.I used a set of Spellbinders dies (sorry I have had them ages and don’t keep them in their packages so I don’t know which set it is) to cut first of all the spotted paper and then some white stamping card. On the die cut stamping card, I used the Archive Ink to stamp the image and coloured a few key features with my Spectrum Noir Illustrator pens. I then used some Victorian Velvet Distress Ink with a blending tool around the edges to give it a slightly aged look and blend the stark white card into the layers. These two die cuts were mounted onto the card front with Collall All Purpose Glue, one of my main go-to glue products.
In the bottom left-hand corner, I attached 3 Dovecraft Resin Flowers with my new glue gun. (A mini pink one from Hobbycraft, I did have one before but managed to leave it on for literally several days and basically burnt all the glue inside it, note to self if suffering from Fibro Fog when crafting ensure I am supervised when using hot tools!)Finally, in each of the other corners, I put a tiny pearl hearts with some Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue, I didn’t fancy doing this with my hot glue gun because I can guarantee I would have burnt myself. Here is the completed card.