g Creatively with Fibro Header Banner with the title and iridescent butterflies

Playing with the Painted Poinsettias

by | 13 Aug 2017 | Card Making | 0 comments

Estimated reading time:
5 minutes
Word count:
1000
Updated Date:
Aug 28, 2020

The Details

Where did it come from

Quick Cards Made Easy Issue 169

When did I get it

This week I can’t remember which day 🙁

When did I try it

13th August 2017

First quick impression

It’s really cute, I love Wild Rose Studio designs and Poinsettias so it is a winning combination. I am quite excited to see what I will come up with. I was hoping to do this yesterday but I got a bit distracted searching for Happy Planner stickers on Pinterest and everything stopped lol. Let’s do this then!

Testing the Stamps

Living Creatively with Fibro | Regulars skip on you know how I test my stamps

To test out new stamps I always use my Tim Holtz Stamping Platform. I know there are other platforms available but when I came to the point that I knew I needed one I did a load of research into the different features of them all and decided this was the right one for me. You can read my post about it.  Why did I need one? With the Fibromyalgia (not to mention a bonus gift of some Arthritis in my hands) I could no longer rely on my hands to get a clean even print with stamps. I was increasingly finding I was not getting good results, even with the Rocker Blockers which always guaranteed this before. The benefit of a stamping platform is that for whatever reason you do not get a clean impression you can simply re-ink and go again and you are guaranteed to be exactly in the same spot. Even the best eyes can be slightly off and then you risk shadowing.

I also always use Archival Ink to test stamps that come as free gifts with magazines. They are usually made from a different material to the one used by a lot of the major brands which means that if you use a dye based ink like Memento the ink can pool on the stamp and give a really bad impression.  You can see exactly what I mean in this test of a fairy stamp. Archival Ink does not pool like this and I get to really test the stamp properly.

Painted Poinsettias Stamped

The image stamped very nicely, the details were all very clear and I didn’t need to stamp it more than once to have this crisp print. I like the font the sentiment is written in, it is both ornate but still easily readable. I decided that I wanted to colour it with some sparkle so I used some of the Spectrum Sparkle pens.

Painted Poinsettias Coloured

Pens used to colour the image

Poinsettias: Spectrum Sparkle Red Berry and Holly Leaf with Spectrum Noir Illustrator Gold (GY3) in the centre. The Bear: Spectrum Noir Illustrator Muted Brown (MB1) and Ivory (FS9) The Pot: Spectrum Sparkle Moonlight and Spectrum Noir Main Range DR2

Creating a card

I chose a 6″ x 6″ card blank as the papers are only 12cm squared. I mounted one of the red Poinsettia papers onto gold mirror card with a 3/16″ border. The colourful paper was cut to 8cm squared and mounted onto more of the gold mirror card with a 1/16″ border. This smaller paper was fastened to the larger one in the top left corner. I cut lengths of two contrasting ribbons, translucent white sparkly organza and red and gold Ric Rac and wrapped these around the bottom of the main cardstock and fastened them at the back. The coloured topper was fussy cut with the ScanNCut leaving a 1mm border around the edge and then mounted on the smaller panel with sticky foam pads to give it dimension. I cut the sentiment close in with my small Fiskars Paper Trimmer (I keep this just for small jobs because it is easier to use for this purpose than my Cutterpillar Pro that I use for all larger jobs. I used the Red Berry Spectrum Sparkle pen to outline the edge of the sentiment then mounted this to a piece of the gold mirror card cut 5mm larger in each direction than the sentiment. Finally, I added the sentiment to the card front using a tiny gold peg attached with my hot glue gun.
Painted Poinsettia Card

The Verdict

I think considering I am having a bit of a rough day I am fairly happy with the results, not my best or most creative card but the power of a deadline meant I wanted to have something to share with you and I hope you agree that I have done the materials some justice. Once again this is a kit where the biggest part is the paper pad which will be used and gone. So the only part that needs to be assessed toward my big craft declutter are the two stamps and I think they have passed the test and will have made a home for themselves. I’m sure I don’t have a Merry Christmas sentiment in a font like that and the cute image is equally different from any I have (I think anyway, the whole point of doing this project is because I have so much stash that I don’t actually know what I have (yes, I have an embarrassed face just writing this!).

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This